I know it’s my recipe but I still feel like I can say that. If it has little hearts on it…it’s cute. end of story.
I made this recipe for valentines but you know what? You should show your people you love them all year round. So this is your 2 week post VDAY reminder that you still love your partner, your family, your hamster. You do. Hopefully.
So you should make them some cute bark to prove it! Right? It’s easier than it looks and I guarantee you it has wow factor. Look at this stuff.
I love this recipe but you know what is REALLY sad? I’ll never be able to eat it again. Not like this anyways. I found out, partially through this recipe, that I am in fact allergic to hemp hearts. Ugh it sucks. I hate having food allergies!!! SO ANNOYING! Thats what led me to paleo in the first place, did you know that? Being tired of reacting to random foods all the damn time. Cutting out most processed foods has been a huge help, as it’s a lot easier to figure out what you are allergic to when there are only a few ingredients.
So I ate some hemp hearts. And then i got terrible abdominal cramps. and then my skin turned red, and itchy, and my inner ear started getting itchy too. And my abdomen was covered in hives.
I’m sure it wont happen to you though. I just have random allergies. If YOU are allergic to hemp hearts however, you could definitely crush up some almonds and sprinkle em on top and I bet it would be just as good!
Have you figured out what the heart is yet? It’s dried pear cut into hearts! You hardly need to be artistic to get this one done. I have so much faith in you! If I can do it anyone can, seriously.
- 1 bar of unsweetened chocolate
- 5 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 – 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 8 dried pears cut into small heart shapes
- Heat some water in a small pot. Place a metal bowl over top (or if you have a fancy double boiler pot use that) and put the first 3 ingredients in. Allow the steaming water to melt the chocolate, stirring to combine everything.
- Remove from heat. Cut your pears and combine the coconut sugar and hemp hearts together. Pour chocolate over a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. **If it’s thick, spread it with a spatula. If too thin, pour into a dish with edges.** sprinkle with the hemp hearts and sugar, and then arrange pear hearts over the top. Lightly press them into the chocolate.
- Allow to cool and break into irregular pieces. It is best served straight from the fridge, and stored there.
That is it friends! Make this for yourself to show a little self love, or for someone else to spread it around.
Sidenote – if you don’t want to bother sweetening your own chocolate feel FREE to melt your favourite 70 – 80% dark chocolate. Exclude the coconut milk (canned) and honey and you will be good to go!