Hey everyone! Happy Saturday!
Today I have for you a delicious paleo ‘pasta’ recipe. I really dug this one! It’s pretty simple but the flavours come together really well. I mean, they’re inspired by the BLT which is pretty much impossible to mess up, so how could they not go well? Bacon, lettuce(spinach), and tomato. A match made in heaven.
NOTE: You need to use a spiralizer OR a vegetable peeler for the noodles.
I’m currently getting ready to go driving and I’m pretty excited. If you didn’t know, I am a 23 year old who does not currently have a drivers license. It’s something I was afraid of for a very, very long time. Finally I’ve decided it’s time to do it and now I am feeling so powerful and in control! It’s also very freeing. I’m hoping to get this post out to you before I hit the road tonight. Doing this has inspired me to ‘check things off the list’ in all areas of my life.
The reason I’m mentioning this is that driving, just like anything in life takes practice before you get better at it! Well guess what. So does being paleo.
Yeah. It takes practice. There will inherently be times when things go wrong and you dive head first into some ice cream cake and feel like shit the next day. But there will also be times when you make amazing recipes (like this one ), you feel incredibly well, and you are following through on your goals. You’re never going to be 100% perfect all the time, and that’s no fun anyways. But trust me, if you are consistent with this stuff for long enough you WILL see a change. Whether it’s on the outside or on the inside is irrelevant. So keep going!!! And don’t let being old, or young, or out of shape, or anything else stop you.
So now that my little pep talk is over, shall we get to the recipe?
BLT Zucchini Pasta
Number of servings: 3
Per Serving 462 calories
Fat 42 g
Carbs 9 g
Protein 13 g
- 8 slices of bacon
- 3-4 zucchinis (small to medium size)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1/3 c white onion
- 1/4 c coconut milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 T bacon fat, set aside from cooking
- salt to taste
- Start by spiralizing your zucchini, then start boiling some water in a pot that you have a steam attachment for. When the water is boiling, place the zucchini in the steamer attachment and cover. Steam for 5 – 10 minutes and then set aside. The zucchini should be fork tender.
- Meanwhile, in a cast iron skillet, cook your bacon until it is done to your preference. Set aside. Drain the grease but leave 1 tbsp remaining in the pan. Add the onion to the pan and saute for 5 minutes, until soft. Add the tomatoes and cook until they begin to soften, another 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and saute until they have cooked down, about 1 minute. Turn off the element.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolk, coconut milk, and salt. Add the hot zucchini noodles to the skillet, and then this sauce. Stir to fully incorporate everything. The pan will be hot enough to cook this sauce even though it is turned off. Serve immediately.
So that’s kind of a brick wall of text, but when you actually get in there it’s quite easy. If you don’t have a spiralizer you can still make zucchini noodles with a vegetable peeler, or I believe spaghetti squash would also taste pretty dang good in there! Make it work for you. And enjoy! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
PS. What’s your favourite pasta dish of all time? I’m super curious!!