This is a paleo recipe inspired by carrot cake and my need for pre and post workout snacks/ on the go recipes.
It’s cakey in texture, and full of fibre, carbs, protein, and healthy fats. The bulk of the recipe is made up of sweet potato and carrots! And yes, it does still taste good. I swear. In fact you may need to make two batches because I can’t keep these things in stock at my house (I eat them all). If you do double it PLEASE double the pan size as well, the dough is quite wet and cook time might increase if the bars are thicker, fair warning.
This is kinda like what a muffin would be if muffins were as cool as cake. There, I said it.
Sweet potato carrot cake bars
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Number of servings: 9
Per Serving 103 calories
Fat 4 g
Carbs 14 g
Protein 3 g
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp ground psyllium husk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup raisins or chopped dates
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cooked sweet potato and ghee in a medium bowl and use a mixer to mix it until smooth. Add in the eggs and honey and blend again. Then add the psyllium, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and baking powder. Blend until fully combined.
- Add the carrot and raisins/dates and stir until combined. Lightly grease a 9x9 baking pan with ghee and then pour the batter into the pan. Smooth out the surface,
- Place in the oven and bake for 50 – 55 minutes, until it is fully cooked though (check by placing a fork or toothpick in the centre, it should come out clean)
- Cool and cut into 9 pieces and enjoy! Store in the refrigerator after it has cooled.
That’s all it takes! I cooked my sweet potatoes in the microwave, in order to speed up the process. This would also be great if you just had leftover baked sweet potato on hand. Either way you do it this will be a delicious morning treat! Enjoy.
Check out my 1 serving sweet potato breakfast cake recipe here.