This soup is just the thing for those cold snowy days, or any day really. But it is really nice on a snowy day.
Let me tell you, just for a moment, how snowy it has been here lately. Today it is March. On the last day of February we had a crazy, crazy snow storm. It snowed 25 centimetres in one day! That’s probably 10 – 11 inches guys. It took my boyfriend and I 3 hours to get home, and it usually takes 30 minutes! We were soooo over it by the time we got home. I took some pictures on my ipod of all the snow, check it out:
None of this was there the day before. UGH. We thought it was almost spring…PSYCH! Anywho back to the soup…
This is easy to make and easy on the stomach. My homemade broth was extremely flavourful and it really makes this a knock out dish. My boyfriend complained that there are too many sweet potatoes, but what does he know. He doesn’t like them at all! HA! I just eat his that he leaves in the bowl at the end More for me! Muahah.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp. butter (organic preferably)
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 stalks celery
- 3 carrots
- 1 onion, large
- 2 parsnips
- 1 head broccoli
- 8 – 10 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Himalayan rock salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. organic garlic powder
- Dice the chicken into 1 inch cubes and then sauté it in the bottom of a soup pot with the butter until browned. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Chop all vegetables and place in the same pot. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are mostly cooked.
- Return Chicken to pot and season with salt, pepper, and garlic and continue to let simmer until fully cooked through, about 5 minutes.
There you have it! It is so simple and sooo good! It feels really nice on a sore tummy.