This is one of my new favorite recipes, simply because it is so easy. I have made whole chickens in my crockpot many times, and it is always delicious. Add in the extra dimension of pureeing the cooking juices and onions with a bit of coconut flour to make gravy? NEXT LEVEL AWESOME.
The gravy is very flavourful and possibly a bit more thin than what you are used to. I know people use arrowroot, xantham gum, and cornstarch to thicken their gravies but I didn’t want to do that last night and had none of those things on hand.
By the way, this meal was 100% 21 Day Sugar Detox friendly and also really, really delicious and satisfying! Did I mention I’m doing that again? I am! Today is day 2, I am doing it along with the whole group so far so good!
We’re having leftovers tonight and I can’t wait. Everyone was asking for the recipe yesterday when I posted a photo of it on facebook so I decided to put this one up for you ASAP! The best part is its pretty much foolproof, and a great make ahead meal that literally takes about 2 minutes in the morning to put together!
- 1 whole chicken, giblets and everything removed
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (dried): marjoram, oregano, thyme, basil, pepper
- 1 tsp: paprika, salt,
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- Place the chopped onion in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl. Rub them all over that chicken!
- Stick the chicken in the crockpot, put on the lid, and cook on low for 8 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, and scoop the onions and juices let off by the chicken into a cup to use an immersion blender to blend them. A food processor would also work fine. Blend until the onions are no longer in tact. Add 1 tbsp. coconut flour and pulse again.
- Cut chicken and serve with gravy on top!
Also, I just want to mention, mashed cauliflower is pretty great too! I’m just going to quickly breakdown how I made mine, because I wasn’t following a recipe and I didn’t mash mine properly…at all. I’ve hear food processors are good for it – I used an immersion blender haha. BAD IDEA! I don’t recommend it!
Ingredients: 1/2 head of cauliflower, 1 tbsp. bacon grease or other fat, 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Instructions: Steam cauliflower until easily poked into with a fork. Mash in an intelligent way, with the food proccessor or something! NOT an immersion blender in a large bowl. Don’t do it.
This is just 1 of the many delicious meals I have planned for the next 19 days Stay tuned! And if you want, check out my youtube channel to see my 21 Day Sugar Detox Vlogs!