Breakfast. Ooooh breakfast. Is it just me or is it hard to think of anything to have for breakfast besides eggs these days? It’s either eggs with veggies, banana egg pancakes, or leftovers. That’s it. Oh, bacon too. I’m sure a lot of you eat bacon. The thing is…that gets REAL boring, REAL quick. We can’t even buy a normal breakfast sausage because they are all packed with gluten. And what if you are suffering from an autoimmune condition, then WHAT THE HECK DO YOU EAT?!
I have a suggestion. Eat these meatballs. They are a delicious switch up from scrambled eggs, and they provide you with all of the protein and fats you need to keep you full for a good long time in the morning.
My boyfriend, mister breakfast cereal, LOVES these meatballs. When he first tasted them a few months ago his eyes widened and I’m pretty sure he said “THESE ARE THE BEST THINGS EVER”. It’s not an exact quote, but they were gone in about a day and he asked for them again, so that’s a very good sign.
So, what makes these breakfast meatballs special? They are sweet and savoury! And the sweetness comes from dried peaches. It’s that classic maple syrup + sausage combo, without the maple syrup. I also love cooking them in the oven in the mini muffin pan, a genius tip from Mr. Alton Brown. want to see it in action?
I’ve been eating these with carrot egg muffins all week, but you could also have these with some veggies, sweet potato, maybe a butternut squash soup? The possibilities are endless since you can go sweet OR savoury.
I know you’re chomping at the bit now, I just KNOW it, so lets get to the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop up the dried peaches. Mix them along with all spices into the meat. I use my hands, it’s the only way to go.
- OPTIONAL: place coconut flour on a small plate in a thin layer.
- Roll each meatball lightly in the flour (or not) note: if it picks up a bit, just roll it between the palms, it will spread evenly and coat the meatball
- place each meatball in 1 cup of a mini muffin pan. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, flipping with a spoon halfway through.
PS. If you want to subscribe to my brand new newsletter so you can keep track of what’s happening around here, please do so! Go here or enter your email in the sidebar under “never miss a post”