This month on the blog it is all green, all the time. What do I mean?? I mean every single recipe I post will have at LEAST a green component, if not just be entirely green. Why? Because its January, and you all need healthy vitamin, mineral, and antioxidant rich recipes. STAT.
I also thought it would be fun to have a theme for the month. Maybe it will motivate me AND you guys to eat more vegetables! That’s the one thing everyone can agree is good for you, right?
Speaking of which…what if in 10 years we found out that vegetables were actually terrible for you and what were causing all of our problems? LOL. I doubt that would ever happen, but it’s funny to think about. The way the nutrition world works…anything could happen.
This Kale is sooo good! Such a great way to get tons of this amazing plant into your body, and you will enjoy it SO much as you are eating it! How much more can you really ask for?
I made the kale creamy but not sweet by using coconut milk and WINE and BROTH, and making sure to season well. The coconut flavour disappears behind the brothy, winey, creamy goodness. Some salt, nutmeg, and other spices bring the whole thing together quite nicely. This is a great side dish to add to the rotation. I hope you love it as much as I do! And if you don’t…Pass me your serving, would ya?
- 1 tsp duckfat (if vegetarian use coconut oil that’s relatively falvorless)
- 1 onion
- 4c kale, stems removed and ripped into 1in pieces
- ½ c broth, any kind, homemade is best (if vegetarian use vegetable broth)
- ½ c white wine
- ¾ c coconut milk
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- sprinkle each of nutmeg and black pepper
- Melt the duck fat. Sautee the onions in that until clear. Add the kale to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until mostly wilted, ~5 mins.
- Add in the coconut milk, broth, and wine. Add salt and spices. Stir, and continue cooking until the sauce has thickened and reduced. Serve as a side dish. This serves 2 large portions or 3-4 small portions.
That’s it! It’s not that hard and the flavour is delicious. I’m not sure how close it is to creamed spinach as I’ve only had that once, but I know this is good enough to stand all on it’s own. I have leftover kale in the fridge right now and I am SO making this tonight! Awww yeah. I can’t wait! You know it’s a good sign when you’re PUMPED to eat kale!
Enjoy guys! Have a great weekend.