EVERYONE knows apple sauce, right?
Applesauce is like the back of your hand. You’ve known it since childhood, and you like it alright, but it’s nothing special.
Pear sauce, on the other hand?
It’s like the new kid at school. Shiny, new, and full of potential. You want to be friends with pear sauce, you really do.
Personally, I thought this was just a good, basic recipe that most people could figure out. However, I posted a photo on instagram and facebook and got a few requests for the recipe ASAP. It must be the vanilla bean. It’s throwing you guys off. Don’t worry, it could not be more simple!
**Note: You don’t need to peel, but you can if you want. If you have a blender that works, or an immersion blender that’s not busted like mine, you should be fine. If, like me, your immersion blender is broken (seriously? the horror) you might want to peel them to avoid skin chunks. Just maybe. Luckily pear skin is pretty thin, unlike apple skin, so you should be fine either way.
Chunks or no chunks, this is going to be good.
It’s really simple too, so that’s a plus.
- 6 ripe anjou pears
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 a vanilla bean
- If you want to, peel the pears (see **note above). Chop them into roughly 1 inch chunks and discard the cores.
- Heat a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, and melt the coconut oil. When melted, throw in the pears and toss them to coat. Add the vanilla bean at this point:
- Chop the vanilla bean in half and scrape the insides, putting them into the pot. Discard the outside.
- Turn the heat to medium low and cover. cook for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. When the pears are soft, turn off the burner.
- Allow the pears to cool slightly and then blend with either an immersion blender or a regular blender.
Someone asked me on facebook what I would eat this with. Well….probably a handful of nuts sprinkled on top as a quick snack! Or you know…just by itself because it’s delicious? Although I like a bit of protein and fat in my snacks to make them worth my while!
Hope you like it and eat it however you please!