Today I want to share my personal mayonnaise recipe. I know there are tons of recipes out there but they honestly NEVER work for me! I feel like people either like runny mayo or I have been doing something terribly wrong, but they used to NEVER work. Until now.
I used this basic recipe but tweaked it ever so slightly. That little tweak ended up with my having some delicious amazing THICK & SPREADABLE mayo on my hands! YIPEE! I use my immersion blender and it literally takes 5 minutes from getting the ingredients out of the cupboard to the end. Just remember to take your egg out of the fridge 30 minutes before making. Or soak it in some warm water for 5 or 10 minutes. Up to you. And make sure you use the best quality egg you can find! For me that means one straight from my farmer.
I want to share the recipe that I use so that I can refer everyone back here when I make recipes with it, so I know that we’re all going to have the exact same thing going on. It’s the only way to make sure future recipes, like the one below, work out perfectly!
Sam’s Homemade Avocado Mayo
Total Time: 10 minutes
Number of servings: 8
Per Serving 143 calories
Fat 16 g
Carbs 0 g
Protein 0 g
- 1/2 c +1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 room temperature egg yolk*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar**
- 2/3 tbsp Lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best!)
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
- *I’ve done it before with a cold yolk and I was fine but apparently it can mess things up for some people so to be on the safe side use room temp
- **Just fill about 1/3 of the tbsp with the ACV and top it up with lemon juice!
- Place all ingredients in a container that your immersion blender JUST fits into (the closer the fit the better).
- Blend that sucker until it emulsifies, which usually is about 10 seconds! if it’s too thick you can add more oil and re- blend.
- Make about 1/2 c mayo. I like this amount as i don’t eat it on a daily basis.
I use THIS immersion blender to make sure it’s ALWAYS totally that simple. If you want a REALLY authentic mayo taste you can also add a pinch of sweetener. It’s up to you!
There we go. Mayo for all! Without junk ingredients. You can find avocado oil on amazon or at costco! I like to use it because it has a mild taste. I’ve tried using different olive oils before and it always was just too olive-y for me, and that’s the truth!
Now, get ready for the next recipe coming soon!
get the recipe for this chicken salad here!
Do you make your own mayonnaise? What is your favourite oil to use for it? Favourite recipe to make with it?
*In the spirit of full disclosure, my posts may contain affiliate AND non-affiliate links, which I will get a small commission from if you choose to buy the products I share. It does not cost any more for you and it helps me to keep this site running! I only link to products I truly love and would never endorse something that I don’t think my readers would appreciate. Thank you for the support.*